Development of this system
This system is built on top of a huge pile of mostly open source software, and it is our intention to open source following a detailed code review.
- A bunch of macros in a spreadsheet package (MS Excel & visual basic) was initially used to create a coherent system of cycleway signage for Cambridge.
- 2005 September
- Cycle Route Planner Classic edition which ran on a private website.
- 2006 June 27, 3:16am
- Initial public release of Cambridge-only journey planner on Cambridge Cycling Campaign's website
- 2009 March 20th
- CycleStreets, covering UK and Ireland entered public beta.
- CycleStreets for iPhone and third party systems using our API
- Versions for Android and HTML5
The system has been developed on both MS Windows and GNU/Linux platforms (Debian, Ubuntu) using GNU Emacs, and a GLAMP server - Apache, MySQL and PHP.
Other technologies used include OpenStreetMap, Leaflet.js, famfamfam icons, Flowplayer, FFmpeg, Atom feeds, AJAX, the GIMP, subversion, git, pureContent, ultimateForm, trac, CKEditor, WordPress, jQuery, jQueryUI, PhotoSwipe, Google Chart Tools.
Units of measurement
See rules and style conventions for the use of the SI and SI units writing style for conventions on labelling measurements.